As it turns out, an excellent way to get in shape is an equally excellent way to get involved. Sometimes it takes the gentle nudging of a cause greater than ourselves to propel us into action. The Komen Austin Race for the Cure will be held on Sunday, November 13th, and I plan on participating in this annual event in the fight against breast cancer. The race is 5K (or 3.1 miles), or you have the option of a 1 mile family walk. Not only will your participation provide physicial activity for yourself, but you will be among many who are making a difference in the lives of women everywhere.
Here are a few FAQs about Race for the Cure.
Q: Is this something in which occasional exercisers can participate?
A: Of course! You can choose to participate in the timed race, or the untimed walk which is a pet friendy, family friendly walk of a little over 3 miles, or you can choose the 1 mile family walk.
Q: What if I begin to feel too tired during the walk?
A: You should slow down if you are getting too tired, and you can always stop and rest. Water stations will be available for you along the walk as well.
Q: Do you have to be a member of a team to participate?
A: It’s not required that you join a team, but you are certainly welcome to join one.
Q: Is there a fee to join Race for the Cure?
A: Yes. The fee is $30 online, or $40 on the day of the race at the registration tent.
Q: How is the money that is raised by this event used?
A: 75% of net funds raised locally is used locally. The Komen Austin provides funding to local non-profit healthcare organizations for breast health services for the underserved men and women in Travis, Bastrop, Hays, Williamson and Caldwell Counties. The remaining 25 percent funds the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research.
So, let’s get out there and make a difference! Let’s choose to walk for health, walk for hope. To find out more information, register, or locate a team please visit www.komenaustin.org.