- Wear a properly fitted supportive bra, even while sleeping. Be sure to wear a sports bra during exercise.
- Limit your salt intake to reduce fluid retention and swelling.
- Eliminate, or at least limit, caffeine. Remember that caffeine can also be found in chocolate and some over-the-counter medications.
- Use an over-the-counter pain reliever, such as Tylenol, Advil or Motrin and follow dosage instructions and labels.
- Get enough key nutrients through your diet, especially calcium, magnesium and vitamins A, B, C and E.
- Drink water to help flush excess fluid from your body.
- Experiment with relaxation therapy, which can control anxiety associated with more severe breast pain.
- Consider evening primrose oil, a supplement that appears to alter fatty acid balance.
Most breast discomfort is not cancer, but please report unrelieved and/or focal pain to your physician. Pain confined to one very specific area is considered focal pain.