Do you wonder what that means?
Did you know that Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is the leading cause of death among infants between 1 month and 1 year of age in the United States?
St. David’s South Austin Medical Center wants to spread the word about the “SAFE TO SLEEP” campaign.
What can you do to make your baby’s sleep environment safer?
- Infants sleep safer on their backs every time they sleep
- Infants sleep safer when they share a ROOM but not a BED with adults, other children or pets
- Infants sleep better on a safety-approved firm mattress that has only a fitted sheet
- Infants sleep safer when they are breastfed
- Infants sleep safer when they are unexposed to tobacco smoke in their environment
Tina Mendiola, RNC-OB, MBA, BSN
Director of Women’s Services
St. David’s South Austin Medical Center