Though we frequently say that the rich, the famous and the powerful “have it made,” prostate cancer among men (and breast cancer among women) doesn’t play favorites. Many who think that prostate cancer doesn’t kill men would be surprised to find out that it is actually the second leading cause of cancer death (behind lung cancer) in men.
Unfortunately, being the most powerful man in California (Governor Jerry Brown, who chose radiation), holding the reigns of the world’s most powerful military (General Colin Powell, who chose surgery), running one of the most profitable companies in the world (Intel Corp’s Andy Grove, who chose radiation), or playing James Bond (Roger Moore, who chose surgery) cannot protect you from prostate cancer.
As newly diagnosed men face the wide variety of prostate cancer treatment choices (and acronyms), including robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy (RALRP), intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), androgen deprivation therapy (ADT), enzalutamide (Xtandi), low-dose rate (LDR) and high-dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy, people sometimes wonder what the rich and famous have chosen.
You will find below a list of people who have spoken openly about their choices and experiences fighting prostate cancer. We include their name, vocation and treatment choice (which you can click on to find further information).
- Jerry Brown, California Governor, Radiation
- Ian McKellen, Actor from Lord of the Rings and X-men, Watchful Waiting/Active Surveillance
- Colin Powell, Former Secretary of State and US Army General, Surgery
- Roger Moore, Actor known as James Bond, Surgery
- Charlton Heston, Oscar winner and actor from Ben-Hur, Radiation
- Dennis Hopper, Actor from Easy Rider, Chemotherapy
- Joe Torre, Former Yankees Manager, Surgery
- Arnold Palmer, Professional golfer, Surgery and Radiation
- Rudy Giuliani, Former New York City Mayor, Radiation
- Nelson Mandela, Former South African President and Nobel Prize Winner, Radiation
- Bob Dole, Former US Senator, Surgery
- Andy Grove, Founder and CEO of Intel Corp, Radiation
- James Brown, Singer, Surgery
Charles Hsu MD, Radiation Oncologist
Beth Hellerstedt MD, Medical Oncologist and Hematologist
Sandeep Mistry MD, Urologist