(by Dr. Paul Tucker, II)
In honor of American Heart Month, St. David’s HealthCare is sharing information from Dr. Tucker on Super Foods*. Enjoy!
Super Foods contain antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that can lower your cholesterol; reduce your risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer; and even put you in a better mood.
Examples of Super Foods include:
- Vegetables: broccoli, avocado, spinach, tomatoes, pumpkin and artichoke
- Fruits: berries (particularly blueberry, acai berry, cranberry and blackberry)
- Proteins: nuts (particularly walnuts, pecans and hazelnut), yogurt, cheese, beans, soy products and salmon
- Calcium-rich foods: sardines, oysters, spinach and soy products
- Grains: whole grains, wild rice, brown rice, whole wheat, oatmeal, popcorn and quinoa
- Spices: cloves, cinnamon and oregano
- Miscellaneous: Resveratrol (skin of red grapes, red wine) and dark chocolate